Table of Contents
Our Links site has had 53,076 views since September 2021
Updated 23rd of August, 2023
Dates for your Diary
- 1st of September 2023: school starts.
- Music – enrolling for this school year i.e. Kay O’Flynn (guitar, tin whistle, keyboard etc), Ger Condon (brass instruments) and Laurie Hedger (drums) is only being done by the Aladdin App. This has been available since July. Please visit the School Website or click here if you would like to check which instruments are suitable for which classes.
- 8th of September: Swimming starts for Rang 2/3 and Ms. Gillian Galvin’s Rang 7. Finishes on 13th of October, 2023.
- 1st of October: online enrolment starts for 2023/2024.
- Parent’s Meetings: Information Meetings for parents in October. More details later.
- The AGM of the Parent’s Association will be held in October. As above: Details later. At this meeting we will be choosing a mother and father to be members of the Board of Management for the next 4 years.
- 20th of October: Swimming starts for Rang 3 and Rang 4/5. Finishes 1st of December.
- 30th of October – 3rd of November: Mid-term break.
- November 16th: Parent / Teacher meetings day, but they will be held throughout November in reality.
- 8th of December: Swimming starts for Rang 2 and Rang 4. Finishes on the 2nd of February 2024.
- December 22nd: The children get their Christmas Holidays @ 12.00 p.m.
- December 23rd – January 7th: Christmas holidays
- 8th of January 2024: Back to school after Christmas.
- 5th of February 2024: School closed, Bank Holiday.
- 7th of February 2024: Enrolment / Open Day in SnB. Places are offered to children for 2024/2025.
- 9th of February 2024: Swimming starts for half Rang 6 and all Rang 5/6. Finishes on 12th of April 2024.
- 15th & 16th of February 2024: School closed, mid term break.
- 21st of February 2024: Final date for accepting a place in SnB for 2024/2025.
- 18th of March 2024: School closed, St. Patrick’s Day.
- 22nd of March 2024: The children get their Easter Holidays @ 12.00 p.m.
- 23rd of March – 7th of April 2023: Easter Holidays.
- Back to school after Easter Holidays: 8th of April, 2024
- 19th of April 2024: Swimming starts for Rang 1 and the second half of Rang 6. Finishes on 24th of May.
- 6th of May 2024: School closed, Bank Holiday.
- 7th of May 2024: School closed.
- 3rd of June 2024: School closed, Bank Holiday.
- 4th of June 2024: School closed.
- 27th of June 2024: Sixth class party
- 27th of June 2024: The children get their Summer Holidays @ 12.00 p.m.
- 28th of June 2024: Summer school starts.
Welcome back to all pupils, parents and staff of Scoil na mBuachaillí. We hope that you all enjoyed and had a healthy and safe summer break. A special welcome to our new pupils in Junior Infants and the new pupils who are entering other classes throughout the school.
- Thank you to Eileen O’Donovan, for covering all the Rental Scheme and Literacy Lift Off Books during the summer.
- Thanks to Eileen, Susan, Sam, Niamh, Claire, Teresa and Eilish who prepared the classrooms and Rental Scheme for the coming year.
- Thank you to Finbarr O’Connor and Noreen Collins who worked tirelessly over the summer holidays on numerous projects.
- Thank you to Eileen O’Regan for the work she does throughout the school year and the summer holidays as Treasurer of the Board of Management. It is an extremely demanding job and this very hard work and commitment is very much appreciated.
- Thank you to Noreen Minihan and all members of the BOM for their continued support.
- Thanks also to Regina Fitzmaurice and Niamh Mac Auley for all their work throughout the summer holidays.
- Thanks also to the Board of Management and Parent’s Association.
- Thank to John Lowney for sponsoring the medals for the school Chess Competitions.
- Thanks to Collins Brooks and McCarthy and Co. Solicitors who again sponsored medals for soccer and football this year.
- Thank you to the Parents’ Association for sponsoring the Billy Calnan Music Award and Basketball Competitions.
- Thanks to Galvin’s Bus Company for sponsoring the Orienteering Award.
- Thanks to Aiden and Elaine O’Donovan for sponsoring the Gentleman of the Year Award.
- Thanks to David O’Brien for sponsoring the Best All-Rounder Award.
- Thanks to Liz and Kieran O’Regan for sponsoring the Literacy Lift Off Boy Award.
- Thanks to Eileen and Paudie O’Donovan for sponsoring the Most Improved Chess Award.
- Thanks to Sarah Jane and Peter O’Donovan for sponsoring the Leadership Award.
- Thank you to Tadhg O’Driscoll for sponsoring the Most Improved Language Award.
- Thanks to Charlene O’Toole and Anne Marie and all at Sherpa Kids.
- Thanks to everyone who helped out in any way to open SnB again this September.
Links – Newsletter
This is the 29th year of the Links.
The Links has it’s website, since September, 2021 – https://snblinks.com. The Links will be found on this site and we will be posting other news also. If you subscribe on the homepage you will be notified of all posts.
It has been a busy summer for everyone here in Scoil na mBuachaillí. The following is just some of the work that has has been done in the school:
* Our new extension has started and because of this there will be changes to exits, entrances, doors, yards etc. Please see below for further details.
* Entire school deep cleaned – thanks to Finbarr, Valentyna and Iryna. * Rooms painted by Finbarr.
Where is my Child’s Classroom this year
Where does my child go to on the first morning? REVISED 22/08/2023
This year we are continuing with the Connect App.
Each day we put up a Principal’s Message. This is a special tab on your Aladdin App. Please ensure that you read this daily. It will only take a few seconds and you will then be up to date with all news. Please also check out our latest Links which has a lot more detail with photos, videos etc.
As you know you will be able to do many things with this app:
All messages from the school will in future be sent via the app / email. We will now only rarely send Text Messages. We encourage both parents to sign up (if applicable).
You can view the school calendar – showing school closures, extra curricular activities etc.
As we are a Cashless school – you can pay school fees directly via the app or via your computer. You will be able to view your child’s attendance and also send an explanation for your child’s absence via the app. If your child is going to be late, or needs to leave the school during the day, you can now notify us, in advance, using the app.
Parent / Teacher Appointment times will be given out and booked via the app.
Your child’s summer report will be sent via the app and you can view all school reports from 2014/2015.
We have phased out sending out notes to get permission for various activities – going on School Tours, Orienteering etc as there is a Permission facility on the app also. This is now the only way to give permission for different activities.
The following “notes” have been sent home via the Permission App on Aladdin.
Please tick that you have read the note and give permission for the following:
(Please note – they have to be done individually).
RSE Form (Relationships and Sexuality Education)
Sciath na Scol
Not all forms are for all classes. You will know it’s for you if you receive it on your app. For example: Chess is only relevant to Rang 4, Rang 5 and Rang 6.
Permission Notes – e.g. RSE, Swimming, Chess, Basketball etc
Please note the only way to join up for Chess, Basketball, Sciath na Scol etc is to tick the Permission App on Aladdin. What you find below is just pdfs of the Permission Notes.
Please click here to open the folder with all the notes below in it.
Chess Note for Learner’s Chess.
Chess Note for Player’s Chess.
Warden Permission Note.
RSE Permission Note for all classes – Juniors – Rang 6
Sciath na Scol notes for Rang 5 and Rang 6
Swimming Note for Rang 1 – Rang 6
Altar Permission Notes
Stay Safe Information Note
Allianz Pupil’s Personal Parent’s Information Note.
School Fees 2023/2024
|Dear Parents, please find the list of fees for the coming year.|
Music enrolment is only by the App again this year.
Guitar Rental: we are changing the guitar rental scheme this year as new instruments will have to be purchased. The new fee is non refundable but is reduced to €25 instead of €50.
Closing date for all fees please is Saturday 30th of September 2023 (except for Milk and Swimming which are due on their due dates).
If you are worried about any of the fees below – please don’t worry!
Contact Barth Harrington on 023 8834487 to discuss the matter.
|Art and Crafts (all classes, including Special Classes) (€12) + Drama/other activity (€2): €14.00|
Christmas Magazine 2023/2024: €5.00 (all classes)
Elocution (all classes except Ms. Galvin’s class): €8.50
French Lessons Term 1 (Rang 2 – Rang 6): €8.50
French Lessons Term 2: NO Charge as we are enrolled in the “Say Yes to Languages” Scheme and the Department is paying.
Photocopying & Printing (all classes): €20.00
Rental Scheme (Rang 1 – Rang 6): No charge, this year as the Department of Education is paying.
Swimming and Bus to pool (Rang 1 – Rang 6, including Special Classes): €52.00 – increase in price from the Leisure Centre and the bus company.
Zumba dancing (Special classes, Junior Infants – Rang 6): €6.00 (to be confirmed – not on Aladdin)
GAA (all classes including Special Classes) Term 1: €5.00
GAA (all classes including Special Classes) Term 2: €5.00
Allianz Pupil Personal Accident Insurance – School hours only: €6.00
Allianz Pupil Personal Accident Insurance – 24 hours: €9.00
Milk Term 1 | September – Christmas 2023 (All Classes): €12.80 (Milk starts on Monday 4th of September.)
Milk Term 2 | January – Easter 2024 (All Classes): €10.00. (Milk starts on Monday 8th of January.)
Milk Term 3 | April – June 2024 (All Classes) | €10.80
|Music Lessons (Optional)|
Music enrolment for 2023 /2024: Term 1 (these lessons are optional) Please note: your child can only study 2 instruments maximum.
Cajon Lessons with Laurie Hedger (Rang 1 – Rang 6) €20
Drum Lessons with Laurie Hedger (Rang 3 – Rang 6): €40
Brass Instruments with Gerard Conlon (the instrument will be supplied to the child) (Rang 3 – Rang 6): €160
Kay O’Flynn: Guitar (Rang 2 – Rang 6): €84
Kay O’Flynn: Keyboard (Rang 2 – Rang 6): €84
Kay O’Flynn: Tin Whistle (Senior Infants – Rang 6): €84
Kay O’Flynn: Accordion (Individual lessons): (Rang 2 – Rang 6): €110
Following the surveys we conducted in 2019 with regard to music in our school,
the Parent’s Association and the B.O.M. have put aside money for parents who may find the cost of the Music Lessons prohibitive. Please contact Barth Harrington about this on 023 8834487.
Also money is available to purchase instruments which can be loaned to children. Many thanks to the P.A. and B.O.M. for this. We purchased 22 guitars for the scheme. These guitars are excellent and will have to be cared for by the boys.
Dear Parent/Guardian, This year again we are using Aladdin ePayment system for parents/guardians of children in our school.
Our school uses the Aladdin software service for administrative purposes and the ePayment system will give you access from an internet browser on your computer, phone or tablet to make secure payments to the school using your credit or debit card.
The purpose of the ePayment system is to facilitate the easier payment of school money collections for parent/guardians and to eliminate the use of cash and cheques in our school in line with recent central bank directives. Aladdin uses state of the art security to safeguard information entered by you and the school and data is stored and processed in strict compliance with Irish data protection laws.
Going forward, when money is due for any school activity that is relevant to your children, you will receive a text/email/noticeboard message containing your payment access link. The item will also show up on your App on your phone/ tablet/ computer.
Please do not forward this text/email or share this access link as this link is unique for your family only. The link will bring you to a parent payment page which will contain all payments requested for all siblings in a family. There is only one link per family ensuring you have the option to pay all amounts due for all your children in one transaction.
Once you have completed your payment, you will be issued with a reference number. You will also receive an email receipt which will contain details of the transaction and reference number. Please quote this reference number in any queries you may have as regards this payment with the school.
We hope that you will find the Aladdin ePayments facility useful and that it is a very successful system for all. The secretary or myself will welcome any feedback or questions you may have. Barth Harrington / Noreen Collins.
Mobile Phones / Smart Watches are not permitted in the classrooms, yard or anywhere on the school premises. Parents may at any time use the school phone (023-8834487) to contact children. If children have to bring the phones to school a safe collection point has been organised in the office.
The phone will be confiscated for a week if found in the child’s possession in the school (1st offence). The second time it happens it will be for 2 weeks. After that ….
Ear rings, rings, necklaces or jewellery of any kind (except watches) are not permitted.
The school uniform is as before – grey trousers, grey shirt, tie (which has to be worn) and navy jumper. The school tracksuit must be worn for games’ days i.e. P.E. days, Soccer days, Orienteering and extra-curricular sporting days. All other tracksuits are not permitted. A plain navy polo shirt (available in all drapery shops in Clonakilty) must be worn with the tracksuit. There is no logo on this polo shirt. Tee-shirts etc are not permitted. For fine weather children may wear NAVY SHORTS. No other shorts will be permitted from now on. The polo shirt may be worn with the shorts.
As last year the O’Rahilly Street rear entrance will be locked during the school day for security reasons. The main entrance can be accessed from the playground or by walking up the right hand side of the building (from O’Rahilly Street).
Signing out: If you need to take your child out during the school day you can sign him out on the Aladdin Connect App. It can be done well in advance. When your child returns to the school, ring the buzzer and we’ll direct him to / her to their classroom.
STAFF CAR PARK
Due to the new building works the Staff Car Park is out of bounds for the entire year.
Healthy Lunches: Please do not put in “sweets or sweet drinks” in your child’s lunchbox.
NUTELLA OR PEANUTS are not permitted. This is for safety reasons. Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.
P.E. / Soccer Timetable 2023
|Junior Infants (Mrs. Marie Forristal)||Not applicable||Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays|
|Senior Infants A (Miss Therese Crowley)||Fridays||Thursdays|
|Senior Infants B |
(Ms. Michelle O’Neill)
|Fridays||Tuesdays and Thursdays|
|Rang 1 (Ms. Kathryn O’Shea / Ms. Karen O’Regan||Tuesdays and Thursdays||Tuesdays and Fridays|
|Rang 2 (Ms. Rebecca Hourihane)||Mondays & Wednesdays||Thursdays and Fridays|
|Rang 2/3 (Ms. Laura Connolly)||Mondays & Wednesdays for Rang 2|
Mondays for Rang 3
|Mondays and Fridays|
|Rang 3 (Mr. Ciarán Crowley)||Mondays||Mondays and Thursdays|
|Rang 4 (Mrs. Marie Hayes)||Tuesdays||Tuesdays|
|Rang 4/5 (Ms. Carol Ann O’Donovan)||Tuesdays for Rang 4|
Wednesdays for Rang 5
|Tuesdays and Wednesdays|
|Rang 5/6 (Mr. Seán Daly)||Wednesdays for Rang 5|
Thursdays for Rang 6
|Mondays and Fridays|
|Rang 6 (Ms. Niamh Mac Auley)||Thursdays||Tuesdays and Thursdays|
Classes and Staff for 2023/2024
Special Class (Junior): Ms. Gillian Galvin
Special Class (Senior): Mr. Paul Carmody
Junior Infants A: Mrs. Marie Forristal
Junior Infants /Senior Infants: Miss Therese Crowley
Senior Infants: Ms. Michelle O’Neill
Rang 1: Ms. Kathryn O’Shea / Ms. Karen O’Regan (Job-sharing)
Rang 2: Ms. Rebecca Hourihane
Rang 2 / 3: Laura Connolly
Rang 3: Mr. Ciarán Crowley
Rang 4: Mrs. Marie Hayes
Rang 4/5: Ms. Carol Ann O’Donovan
Rang 5/6: Mr. Seán Daly
Rang 6: Ms. Niamh Mac Auley
Clonakilty Supply Panel Teachers
#01 Ms. Margaret Hayes
#02 Ms. Caoimhe Hennessy
T#03 Ms. Niamh O’Donovan
Special Education Teachers:
Ms. Regina Fitzmaurice (Deputy Principal)
Mrs. Elaine Connolly (Reading Recovery Teacher)
Ms. Orla O’Keeffe
Ms. Carol O’Boyle
Ms. Mary Horgan (shared with Rosscarbery Convent N.S.)
Mrs. Eileen Breen O’Riordan / Ms. Áilín Quinlan (Job-sharing)
Mr. Noel Crowley (Teacher for Ukrainians)
Special Needs Assistants:
Mrs. Eileen O’Donovan / Mrs. Susan McCarthy (Job-sharing) – Mainstream classes
Ms. Niamh Whelton – Mainstream Classes
Mrs. Samantha Aerts – Senior ASD Classes
Ms. Theresa McCarthy – Senior ASD Class
Mrs. Claire Kavanagh – Junior ASD Class
Mrs. Eilish McSweeney – – Junior ASD Class
Ms. Jean Murray
Mrs. Eleanor Callanan
Ms. Cathy Twomey
Ms. Olena Sirenko
Secretary: Noreen Collins
Cleaner: Iryna Bershadska
OT: Ms. Karyn O’Brien
French: Mrs. Celine O’Donoghue
Elocution: Ms. Nora Scannell
Music: Mrs. Kay O’Flynn
Trumpet: Mr. Gerard Condon
Drums: Mr. Laurie Hedger
G.A.A. Coach: Mr. Conan O’Donovan
Rugby Coach: Mr. Finbarr O’Mahony
Principal: Mr. Barth Harrington
Board of Management:
Mrs. Noreen Minihan (Chairperson),
Mrs. Eileen O’Regan (Treasurer),
Ms. Regina Fitzmaurice,
Mr. Noel White,
Mrs. Eileen Collins
Ms. Paula Kingston
Mr. Jerome O’Sullivan and
Mr. Barth Harrington.
Parent’s Association: To be Updated
Chairperson – Mark Griffin
Vice Chairperson –
Vice Secretary –
Treasurer – Ursula Deasy
Vice Treasurer –
Vice PRO –
Booklists for 2023/2024
Please click on this link to view/download your child’s booklist for 2023/2024.
Soccer Teams for Autumn 2023
New Extension begins
Signing the contract
Machines move in
Please click here to view photos from this year’s Scoilavision. Below you can see some of Mark Coombes photos, but there are much more to see by clicking the link above.