Useful items from the main website
About our School
Scoil na mBuachaillí
Scoil na mBuachaillí is a 19-teacher school with more than 255 students situated in the heart of Clonakilty on the Wild Atlantic Way.
Our staff comprises 10 classroom teachers, 2 Special Class teachers, 6 Support Teachers, 6 Special Needs Assistants, Principal, Secretary and Caretaker.
What can we offer your child?
A very committed, talented and hard working staff.A friendly and supportive atmosphere.
A wide range of extra-curricular activities including Surfing and Kayaking at nearby Inchdyoney Beach, Debating, Athletics, Gardening, Music, Sound Engineering, Lighting Engineering, Chess and baking. Our many Sports programmes include GAA – Football and Hurling, Soccer, Orienteering, Basketball, Rugby, Swimming etc.
Teamwork: the staff plan and review together curricular and organisational areas regularly to ensure the highest standard of education for your child.Informal Open Door Policy: Parents are regularly informed on what is happening in the school. A bulletin (called Links) is circulated regularly and relevant policy documents are sent to all the parents in the school e.g. Code of Discipline, Anti Bullying Policy, Homework Policy, Healthy Lunch Policy, Mission Statement, Safety Statement, Acceptable Use Policy, Substance Use Policy, RSE Policy, SPHE Policy etc.
Discipline and Anti Bullying: A Code of Discipline whose primary objective is the development of self-discipline in our students is implemented in our school. An effective Anti- Bullying Policy is in place.
High level of student involvement: Students participate routinely in the day-to- day running of the school: e.g. refereeing matches, acting as Litter Wardens, Road Safety Wardens, carrying out DIY work, working in the school garden and helping out with recycling etc.
Scoil na mBuachaillí has a very active, committed and supportive Parents’ Association. New members are always welcome.
Our Proud History
Scoil na mBuachaillí was formed when Clonakilty Boys Senior School amalgamated with St. Joseph’s Boys Infant School in September 1995. The schools which have a long and proud tradition in educating boys in the Clonakilty area, moved into their new building in O’Rahilly Street in March 2000.
Admission / Enrolment
Booklists for 2021/2022
Calendar 2021 / 2022
Dates for your Diary
- Music – enrolling for this school year i.e. Kay O’Flynn (guitar, tin whistle, keyboard etc), Adrian Hanly (brass instruments) and Laurie Hedger (drums) is only being done by the Aladdin App. This has been available since July. Please check the school website under M for Music to see appropriate ages/classes for instruments or just click here.
- Parent’s Meetings: Information Meetings for parents in October. It’s possible that these will be done via Zoom / Webinar – Social Distancing will determine everything. More details later.
- The AGM of the Parent’s Association will be held in October. As above: Details later.
- Mid-Term Break: Monday 25th to Friday 29th of October inclusive.
- Parent/Teacher meetings : hopefully Thursday 18th of November.
- Christmas Holidays: Boys will get their holidays on the 22nd of December at 12.00 p.m. Return 5th Jan.
- February Mid-Term Break: 24th and 25th.
- St. Patrick’s Day and ..: Wednesday 17th March and Friday the 18th of March
- Easter Holidays: Friday 8th of April at 12.00 p.m.. Return Monday 25th of April.
- School Closed: Monday 2nd of May.
- School Closed: Friday 3rd and Monday 6th of June.
- Summer Musical: 15th, 16th and 17th of June or the following week.
- Summer Holidays: Tuesday 28th June @ 12.00 p.m.
- Sixth Class Party: to be decided.
Confirmation and First Holy Communion
First Holy Communion (second class 2020) is due to be held on October 3rd @ 1.00 p.m.
First Holy Communion (second class 2021) is due to be held in May 2022.
Confirmation: for Rang 5 (2020) and Rang 6 (2020) is due to be held on the 19th of September, Rang 5 @ 1.00 p.m. and Rang 6 @ 3.00 p.m. This refers to last year’s classes.
Children who were baptised outside of the parish of Clonakilty will have to send in a copy of their Baptismal Certificate (unless you have already done so). Please send in this certificate as soon as you can. Children in other classes who have not sent in their Baptismal Certificate can do so at any time – it will be photocopied and the original returned immediately. For children in Junior Infants it is the ideal opportunity to locate and send in your Baptismal Certificate – we won’t have to ask for it ever again.
Covid related documents
Link to where the classrooms will be in September 2021 – Where will my child’s classroom be? Click here.
Link to the Yards for Morning Supervision and drop off. Please click here to see where your child will be every morning.
Link to the Yards (Designated Areas) for breaks @ 11.00 a.m. and 12.30 p.m. Please click here for the link to the pdf file.
Link to Leaflet sent to new parents, which includes Covid Protocols for September 2021 (relevant to all parents). Please click here for the link to the pdf file.
- Scoil na mBuachaillí, Cloich na Coillte has a Catholic Ethos, promotes Irish language and culture, is caring-centred and respects different colours, creeds and intellect.
- Every pupil is encouraged to achieve his full potential – socially, personally and intellectually – in a happy, secure learning environment.
- The discipline in our school encourages and fosters respect and self-esteem among the pupils.
- We endeavour to develop supportive and open communication among pupils, teachers, parents, Board of Management and the community.
- We aim to have a staff that will continue to be committed, progressive and creative.
In what class can my child learn guitar, piano, drums etc?
PE Timetable (not updated yet)
The whistle is blown at 9.05 a.m.Classes commence each day at 9.10 am sharp.
Classes end each day at 2.00 pm for Junior and Senior Infants.
Rang 1 – Rang 6: classes end at 3.00 p.m.
Junior and Senior Infants ASD Class: 2.00 pm.
1st- 6th, ASD class for primary aged children: 3.00 p.m. .
School Hours | Insurance Considerations
Although the gate is open before 9.00 am, this is done solely to avoid having the children in danger near the main road.Supervision in the school yard begins at 8.55 am. The whistle is blown at 9.05 a.m.Classes commence each day at 9.10 am sharp.
Classes end each day at 2.00 pm for Junior and Senior Infants, Rang 1 – Rang 6: classes end at 3.00 p.m.
Junior and Senior Infants ASD Class: 2.00 pm
1st- 6th, ASD class for primary aged children: 3.00 p.m.
Parents who wish to have their children escorted home should make their own arrangements to have them met at the school. To meet insurance requirements, no pupil is allowed to remain on in school or school premises after 3.00 pm, unless supervised by a teacher or for extracurricular activities.
Because of this we ask that all pupils are collected promptly after school. In the case of children travelling by school bus, the school cannot accept responsibility for escorting them from the bus to the school, or from the school to the bus.
Parents who feel that their children need to be escorted on these occasions should make their own arrangements to ensure that some escort is provided. The school bus collects the children in the school grounds. If you are going to be late collecting your son, please ring the school on 023 8834487